About Global Hand-Washing Day
October 15 is Global Hand-Washing Day founded by the Global Public Private Partnership for Hand-Washing(PPPHW), dedicated to increasing awareness and realizing the importance of hand-washing with soap as an easy, effective and affordable way to prevent disease and save lives. The 2016 Global Hand-Washing Day theme is “Make Hand-washing a Habit”.
The Goals of Global Hand-Washing Day
The goals of Global Hand-washing Day are:
- Support a global and local culture of hand-washing with soap;
- Shine a spotlight on the state of hand-washing in each country;
- Raise awareness about the benefits of hand-washing with soap.
Get Involved in China
Primary students in China is learning how to wash their hands correctly. United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund(UNICEF) and its government partners are running a campaign in schools, communities and on television to promote washing hands with soap.
“Educating children in hand hygiene is a good investment in their health.” said, Dr. Xu, at Guangzhou Elizabeth Women’s Hospital.
Works of art from children showing what they understand about washing hands.
In China, health workers are invited to demonstrate how to wash one`s hands with soap.
Six Steps Hand-Washing Technique
1. Palm to palm;
2. Right palm over back of left hand. Left palm over back of right hand;
3. Palm to palm fingers interlaced;
4. Backs of fingers to opposing palms with fingers interlaced;
5. Rotational rubbing of right thumb clasped over left palm and left palm over right palm;
6. Rotational rubbing backwards and forwards with clasped fingers of right hand in palm of left and vice versa.
The six-step technique was considered to be an effective way to reduce the bacterial count and healthcare-associated infections.